Without question, this is one of the simplest recipes we’ve come across. For peach lovers, this is truly one of the happiest and most enjoyable desserts you can make. It’s the perfect ending to your friends and family al fresco summertime BBQs in the backyard. As the sun falls on the horizon and the conversation wanes, you won’t need to say a word. Just look at the satisfaction in your guests’ eyes as they scoop up every bite.
Tip: For added texture and flavor, use ¾ cup all-purpose flour and ¼ cup whole-wheat or whole grain flour for the cobbler batter. (Total flour quantity is 1 cup.)
½ cup salted or unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 cups fresh peach slices (peeled, if desired)
Zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup all purpose unbleached white flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup 2% or whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- For the peach mixture, toss together the sugar, peach slices, zest of one lemon and lemon juice until well-coated.
- Bring peach mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring regularly and remove from heat after boiling for one minute. Set aside.
- Melt butter and add to an 8” by 11” baking dish (place the baking dish on a rimmed cookie sheet to catch drips while cooking).
- For the cobbler batter, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and mix together until combined.
- Add milk to batter dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.
- Pour batter over butter in baking dish (do not stir batter and butter together).
- Pour peach mixture over batter (do not stir peach mixture and batter together).
- Bake at 375°F for approximately 40 minutes until golden brown (as oven temperatures vary, you may need to bake longer until golden brown).
- Allow the cobbler to cool for at least 20 minutes before eating and serve warm or room temperature with your favourite ice cream or unsweetened freshly whipped cream.
Recipe inspired by Southern Living and adapted by Gluggable.