This recipe is retro-amazing and was something my mom always made during dinner parties. There is something that feels so decadent about glugging almost a cup of olive oil into a recipe. The result is something everyone will enjoy. Serve it cold or room temperature.
Serves 6 to 8 for appetizer portions
1½ packages frozen chopped spinach
5 large eggs
¾ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (plus additional ¼ cup for finishing)
For dusting: ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese and paprika (smoked or unsmoked)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Cook spinach and drain very well. Set aside and let cool for ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add spinach and remaining ingredients to the eggs and mix together until incorporated.
- Gently press mixture into a lightly greased 8” by 12” baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drain excess oil, if any.
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Allow to come to room temperature and refrigerate for one hour minimum.
- Slice into squares (or rectangles) and serve cold or room temperature.
Recipe shared by Nicole Howes (Trevor’s mom) (Noranda, Quebec).