This is one of those casual, simple, yet utterly delicious recipes that can barely be called as such: It’s a bit of chopping and tossing before going into a hot oven. The creamy tang of goat cheese and the final fresh hit of parsley are the ideal counterbalances to the roasted sweetness of the veggies.
Shortly before sitting down to write this recipe, which has been one of my summertime grilling go-tos for years, I was planning a menu for a casual dinner with friends at the cottage. I was stuck on what to serve as a side. I figured inspiration would strike in those moments at the supermarket while shopping for said dinner, as it often does (or is that just called doing things at the last minute?) – but then the answer was there, right in my to-do list: “Draft post for Roasted Vegetables with Goat Cheese.”
Sure, friends come over for dinner to eat but my priority when hosting is to spend time together – connect, laugh, be silly. Joyous though it is, the more time spent in the kitchen fixing dinner is less time spent with my guests, which makes recipes like this a natural fit for a casual gathering.
Make-ahead tip: You can prep the veggies up to four hours in advance and keep them loosely covered in the fridge. When you’re 20 minutes from eating, just pop them in the hot oven.
1 large Red pepper
1 large Yellow pepper
1 Red onion
500 grams Mini potatoes
8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
¼ cup Olive oil
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
1 teaspoon Rosemary, dried
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
100 grams Goat cheese, crumbled
Handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Core, de-seed, and chop the peppers into large chunks and add to a large bowl that will hold all the vegetables
- Peel the red onion and slice into large rings or chunks, similar in size to the pepper chunks
- Cut each mini potato in half or into quarters depending on their size. The aim is to have all the pieces the same size. Add the potatoes to the bowl, along with the unpeeled garlic
- Add the olive oil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary, salt and pepper to the bowl and toss so that everything is fully and evenly coated in the oil.
- Tip the veggies on to the prepared baking tray, ensuring a single layer that’s not crowded (otherwise the veggies will braise and not roast)
- Place the tray in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes
- Remove the veggies from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes then strew over the crumbled goat cheese. Give a gentle stir to melt through the goat cheese before finally adding a blanket of chopped parsley.
Recipe created by Gluggable.