This recipe transports us to hot summer days when corn is in season, plentiful and sweet. It is sweet, savoury and tangy at the same time and hard to resist. You can adjust any of the ingredients to taste so use the quantities below as a guideline. If you don’t like too much spice, try removing all of the seeds and membrane of the jalapeno, but don’t omit the flesh as it balances out the flavours nicely and adds a brilliant splash of green colour to the dish. While this recipe is somewhat labour intensive, it really is worth every step. Allowing the corn to roast directly on the BBQ grill after parboiling adds a smoky and caramelized sweetness to the corn and the honey, lime juice and butter makes it taste luscious and indulgent. So grab another drink, head for seconds and enjoy every bite.
6 cobs of corn
Zest and juice of half a lime
1 jalapeno, minced
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup cilantro finely chopped (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shuck corn and parboil whole cobs in boiling salted water for 3 minutes.
- Remove corn from water and set aside. Allow to cool until manageable to hold.
- Heat BBQ to medium heat. Once heated, place cobs directly on the grill and roast for approximately 15 minutes (rotate each cob every few minutes to ensure even browning)
- Remove roasted corn from BBQ and place aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine lime zest and jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Carefully slice away corn from each cob and set aside.
- Melt butter with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy bottom pan or dutch oven until butter starts to foam.
- Add honey and lime juice to the pan then add corn and continue stirring until well-coated
- Cook for two minutes, then remove pan from heat and transfer to a large serving bowl to cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the minced jalapeno, lime zest and cilantro into the serving bowl and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper then serve.
Recipe inspired by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and adapted by Gluggable.