If “desperately holding on to summer, but also loving the autumn” was a recipe, our Broccoli Salad is an easy multi-seasonal marvel that’s ideal for late summer BBQs or a Thanksgiving feast.
And though we call it a salad, it more-than-satisfies as a vegetable side dish, especially at big celebrations. Since it benefits from extra time in the fridge, you can make it ahead of time and not have to worry about cooking times, stovetop availability, or oven space. None of that stress – just fresh, satisfying, crunchy deliciousness.
For the dressing
2/3 cup good mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
5 cups broccoli florets (from about 2 crowns)
4 spring onions, finely sliced
6 strips cooked bacon, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, preferably extra old – plus more for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, add the broccoli florets (chop up any overly large florets; you’re going for bite-sized pieces here) followed by the chopped bacon and most of the cheese.
- Pour over the dressing and toss together until everything is well-coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two to allow the flavours to combine and for creamy dressing to penetrate the broccoli (that sounds lascivious, but you know what we mean).
- Before serving, add another sprinkling of grated cheese on top.